During its projects, FVAI principally treats dogs and cats. It is possible that certain participants, depending on their expertise, may accept to treat other animals such as rabbits, goats, sheep, horses, cows, pigs and chickens.
We provide veterinary care to under privileged populations, which may result in rudimentary facilities. It is possible that work conditions are sub-optimal and very different from your daily life: heat, humidity, torrential rain, dust, noise, poor lighting, no access to water, ever-present mosquitoes. Therefore, adaptability and creativity are welcome assets.
FVAI works very closely with the local populations. Interact with the people. Even if you don’t speak the language, know that a sincere smile is universal and can win over anybody. Never forget that you are invited guests, so be respectful at all times. Be curious and have an open mind.
You must have a valid licence to practice
- be able to perform several dog and cat sterilizations per day
- perform physical exams
- pose a diagnosis
- prescribe medications
- work in teams with people that you don’t know
- help the technicians if needed
- participate in teaching veterinary students if needed
Animal Health Technicians
- prepare anesthesia drugs and other medications and administer them
- monitor anesthesia
- supervise veterinary or animal health technicians during surgical prep
- assist in surgery
- monitor the recovery period
Animal Health Technician and Veterinary Students
- assist the animal health technicians during anesthesia induction
- prepare the animals for surgery
- assist the veterinarians during surgery
- monitor the anesthesia
- help during recovery
It is not necessary to have a medical background in order to participate in FVAI’s projects. We need volunteers at the welcome and recovery stations, for the sterilisation of surgical instruments, to transport the animals, as well as in the schools as educators. You are indispensable!
If you are unable to participate in FVAI’s humanitarian trips, but you would still like to be involved, there is a place for you. Event organizer, publicist, translator, photographer, etc.