Project Status: Past Project
Project Date: October 10- October 24 2018
Localisation : Africa
Population : 51000000
Spoken Languages : Swahili, English and numerous dialects
Local Partner : Mbwa Wa Africa Animal Rescue
The Foundation for Veterinary Aid International will be returning to Tanzania in October 2018. This will be our fifth trip to this magnificent East African country.
We will be treating hundreds of dogs and cats with the help of our local partner Mbwa Wa Africa. We will be continuing our goal of vaccination, sterilization and education. We will be continuing our mission started in October 2017 in the city of Arusha. FVAI is proud to contribute to animal welfare on the continent of Africa. The needs are enormous and and we are ready to accept the challenge!
We invite you to participate in this extraordinary project where every gesture counts. Exciting adventures await you in the clinic as well as on safari. You will be changing many lives as well as your own.
Situated on the east coast of Africa, south of Kenya, Tanzania is known for the infinite plains of the Serengeti and the vast migration of the wildebeest, the exceptional fauna in the Ngorongoro Crater and the elephants of Tarangire national park. There are almost 120 different ethnicities in Tanzania making it a politically stable country. The Maasai culture is still very present particularly around the crater where they live in their villages (boma) with their herds. There are numerous flights to Kilimanjaro airport (JRO) where you can obtain your visa upon your arrival.
Cost of participation
- Transfers from Kilimanjaro Airport (JRO) to the lodgings.
- Lodging for 13 nights from October 11-23 inclusively.
- Breakfast and suppers included at the lodging. If you would like to go out, suppers at a local restaurant are not included. Plan for approximately $10.00-20.00 USD excluding drinks. The local barbecue is a must!
- Lunches on clinic days ($5.00 USD). You prepare them yourself at the lodging.
- **FVAI will not furnish meals to participants with dietary restrictions: allergies, gluten free diets, vegans and others.
- Surgical scrub top.
- 4 days lodge and luxury camping safari!
- Accompanied by French and English speaking veterinarians.
- All clinic materials.
- Work permit.
- In order to outfit themselves for the trip, each participant is eligible for a rebate at SAIL in Beloeil.
**FVAI only uses monofilament absorbable sutures (Monocryl* or PDS* type): veterinarians with other preferences must furnish their own suture materials.
**All of the gloves supplied to the participants are latex. Participants who are allergic to latex are responsible for supplying their own gloves.
**Participating veterinarians must use FVAI’s anesthetic protocols exclusively.
- Air transportation from Montreal (YUL) to Kilimanjaro (JRO)
- Activities during free time
- Travel and medical insurance
- Passport and Visa ($50.00 USD payable upon arrival in Tanzania)
- Vaccinations and anti-malarial treatments
- Tips during the safari and at the lodging
**And everything else not appearing in the “Included” section noted previously.
The local currency is the Tanzanian shilling (TZS).
$1.00 CAN= 1778 TZS as of May 18, 2018. $1.00 USD=2279 TZS
There are several ATM machines in Usa River
Day 1 (October 10) Departure from Montreal (YUL) to Kilimanjaro (JRO)
Day 2 (October 11): Arrival at Kilimanjaro Airport in Tanzania
Day 3 (October 12): Rest and orientation day
Day 4,5,6,7,8 9, 10, 11 (October 13-20): Vaccination and sterilization clinic in the communities around Arusha
Day 12,13,14,15 (October 21-24): Safari
Day 15 in the evening (October 24): Departure from Tanzania
*This itinerary is subject to modification.